Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Living on Borrowed time...

It's been about a week and a half since I've written here, but as some of you may know, if anyone has read here, I did say that I was pretty terrible at keeping up with this kind of stuff. So I suppose only one small apology is needed.


I entitled this post the way I did for a reason. I wanted to talk a little bit about the situation that my family is going thru at the moment. This morning when i got up I was thinking that I was going to relate the whole thing here, but since my second cup of coffee, I have reconsidered that. The reason is that we are presently really trying to deal with the whole financial crisis on our own level, and it would be so easy to just go on and on and on, and then it would probably put me in a crappy mood, so I'm going to refrain from the whole thing. However i do want to relate some things.


Like some many people out there, our expenses has way over gone our income. Nothing new in today's economy. Everyone seems to be in the same boat. That doesn't make us extra special in that way. However, when it's you in that boat, well it doesn't make you feel more than extra special in that way. With credit cards maxed out, the way of life that anyone is used to changes dramatically. When you have a credit card, and your using it for just about everything, well you know in the back of your mind that you should be making changes and calming down with it, but when its all you have, you at the same time, while you are using that card to live on, you have a tendency to throw caution to the wind and do other things, because you really don't want your lifestyle to change. It's human nature and I for one don't think we can be totally faulted for that.


So now, with cards maxed out, and no funds to keep up with the outrageous credit card bills that we accrued, there is not much of an option, but to seek legal help, and we all know what that means. freedom from debt is what all the lawyer's websites tell us, as long as there are no extenuating circumstances. In our case however, there are. Just one little sticking point to free us from a good chunk of debt burden. But we have to wait a few more weeks to get to that point, which is the consultation meeting. Which by the way they want you to pay for the whole service right away. There in lies another problem.


When starting to file for bankruptcy, the main idea is that you have no money or not enough money to pay for anything. But when you do go for it, you need to pay for the entire thing up front. How can you do that when you have no money to begin with. Apparently it seems it depends on which lawyer you have. I'm hoping the one we have will allow us to do payment plans.


Now I'm not going to talk about the sticking point because it's really just going to piss me off, and on my day off, I really don't want to feel that way. I'm sure you will understand. But now our big thing is to try to pay our regular bills with whatever little money we have saved by not paying our over-stressing credit cards. Since paying our regular bills and services are more important, i don't feel bad about not doing the others. it's a matter of priorities,although I'm sure my loving wife will tell you differently.


One of the really bad effects of over burdening debt is emotional stress on the family. Whether the family is big or small, the effect is the same, no one is exempt from it. Your little ones can suffer the most from it when you and your spouse butt heads on the subject. it's not a good thing, and no matter how strong your marriage is, its going to have some kind of effect on the both of you. I will say that, my wife and myself, have the most stable marriage I cold have ever wished for. We never have a bid fight, only small little disagreements from time to time, but even this stuff, is affecting us somewhat. Although we would never let it interfere with the way we feel about each other for let it affect our child. We are committed to each other one hundred percent.

But reading all the stories in the paper of families being torn apart because of financial problems and more, it is easy to see how that can happen if you let it. I think its the point of this whole posting today.


I'm not making excuses for the jam that we're in, but I am telling everyone that there are some ways out of it in a way, and that you have to look for them and take them no matter what you may think it will do to you later. You need to fix things, so you can eventually live a better life. yes we did this, but the companies are also to blame for drawing us in and then hitting us with everything that they have to get more money from us. responsibilities are best done on both sides of the fence. Both parties. So all the stories of husbands going off the deep end and doing very bad things to themselves and they're families as well as their wives is an extreme issue. I feel bad for the remaining families that have to deal with the repercussions of such decisions, but it is happening.


Right now, for my family, we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. But that doesn't mean that its not there. It just means that we haven't gone thru it far enough yet to see it. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment